Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Food: Mizithra Chicken with Honey, Lime, and Ginger Glaze

Once upon a time, there lived a girl.  She loved having adventuresome days.

Like today, for instance, I am going to have dinner and game night with Andrew and his sister (Alyssa) and her husband (Jeff).  I'm in charge of the main dish.  So a few days ago, Andrew and I decided on chicken.  I asked him if he'd rather have it with pasta or rice. He chose rice.  Ok.  Would you rather have it Mediterranean or Asian?  Mediterranean.  Ok.  ... think think think...

I think here is an appropriate time to interject with a somewhat related and completely necessary pic found on Pinterest...











This is my life. Thanks Pooh. We agree perfectly once again.

ANYway... After much think-think-thinking... I finally decided to not go off of a recipe, but to make one up.

So here goes...

Mizithra Chicken with Honey, Lime, and Ginger Glaze
  • 4 limes
  • 1 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 T. ground ginger
  • 1/2 cup rice cooking wine
  • 1/4 lb mizithra cheese, grated
  • 6 chicken breast tenderloins 
  • about 1 t. cornstarch (really it's as needed)
In a mixing bowl, squeeze out lime juice (I used a spoon to get out as much of the juice as possible).  Whisk together with honey, sugar, oil, ginger, and the cooking wine.  Set aside.

Somewhere in there you're going to want to preheat the oven to 350­°. 

Thaw chicken.  Once thawed, place one tenderloin inside a gallon ziploc and pound it till it's flat.  Be careful not to puncture the chicken.  You want it in one piece.  Do this to all of the tenderloins.  

Put chicken in a 9x13 pan (I had to do this three at a time. If you have a pan that's big enough for all of them, by all means, use it).  Pour about half (only enough to cover the chicken) of the marinade into the pan.  Marinade for only 30 minutes (if you do it for longer, the acids with disintegrate the chicken).  

Remove from marinade and put on a sprayed baking sheet.  In the middle of the flattened, marinaded chicken, put a sprinkling of cheese.  Roll it up long ways... So it's long, not wide... Like a taquito... Hope that makes sense. 

Bake for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink and starting to turn golden.

While the chicken is baking, combine the sauce used for marinade with the rest of the sauce and the cornstarch in a sauce pan.  Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, till thickens to desired consistency. (Actually, the sauce never thickened when I did it... So we just used it runny... which was still delicious).

When chicken is done baking, cut into 1/2 inch thick pinwheels.

Serve with rice, smothered in the sauce, with the chicken pinwheels on top.

Sorry I have no pictures. I'm currently between cameras, and I forgot to have Andrew take some for me. Meh. Oh well. You'll have plenty more of my delectable delicacies to see in the future. :)

Till next time lovely blog,
Amanda Diane

2 comments:

  1. This looks oh so yummy!
    My mouth has been watering the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Glad it sounds good! It tastes pretty good too! You should try it!

      Delete